A different approach to life
Updated: Dec 8, 2022
A quick piece to reflect on by: Brady Johnson Published: December 7th, 2022
Being a passionate and enthusiastic person has to be one of the greatest gifts in the world. Yet, these are two character traits that have seemed to allude me in my recent life. I know what I am passionate about but it is often difficult to enjoy my passion when there are other influences at play. Negative influences that is.
Personally the biggest negative influence in my life has been Depression. Over the past year or so I have travelled a rocky road with many ups and downs. One thing I have noticed is that it is very easy to say that you are going to make a change in your life, it's much more difficult actually doing so. One thing I have noticed when talking about a mental illness is that everybody has a different experience so make sure not to compare what you are going through to what someone else is going through. Building off of that, depression has been very difficult for me and has lead me down some very dark roads. Depression, for me, makes life bleak, almost like you are living a dream in real life.
It makes everyday tasks feel like they are monumental tasks.
It makes the accomplishments that should feel good, feel bleak.
For me, it makes sleep the only enjoyable activity throughout my day, makes me want to stay in bed all morning.
It makes me lose hope in what used to bring me hope. Makes it seem like there is no way out.
But there is a way out for everybody, even me. And as bleak as my life has been recently I am being proactive about my problem, going to therapy, journaling, and taking my medication. Trying to eliminate the negative influences in my life. Getting back to writing, limiting youtube, eliminating melatonin, meditating more, and just living a more positive life. It's all possible.
One negative I have identified with my therapist is that my goals have been way too ambitious and when I don't live up to them I fall back into my depressive state. Writing down some more intangible goals that could influence my life in the right direction without becoming obsessed is a very important step in my growth. So here are my simple but needed goals.
Live more sustainably
- Try to use my car less, walk more and don't make unnecessary drives
- No more single use plastic, try to stick to watch from the filter
- Bring your own bags to the grocery store
- Clean up trash out in public when you see something on the ground
- Don't waste food and try to eat less meat.
- Actively research and promote animal rights
Live life with more optimism
- Know that your struggles of today will not matter a few years from now
- Live for today and do more things that make you happy
- Smile more and be willing to laugh
Explore and experiment
- Never get caught in the same ol' cycle
- Always be willing to try something new to broaden your horizons
- Try a new music genre but do not rely on music to influence how you are feeling
Three simple changes that could have a profound effect on my life.
At its core, life is difficult and designed for us to struggle. It is important to find what works for you and roll with that.
So quick note to self - you are enough and keep going about life with a positive attitude.